Thursday, 26 January 2012

How to Revamp an IKEA table with maps (or whatever takes your fancy)


As part of our livingroom renovation we were looking for a new side table to go in the corner between the two sofas, but after splashing out on new curtains, our new fireplace, and all the stuff on our shopping spree, we thought we might try and make do with what we've got.

Bring in the trusty Ikea Lack table, it was Rodney's in his Marchmont flat, then housed our fishys in the Bruntsfield flat, and our TV when we moved in here. But with all the rejigging we have been doing we have free it up for a little bit of side table action. But look at it, it's pretty sad looking, the laminate was peeling off, there was a splodge of paint from our recent painting mission (more on that later) so we needed to do something about it!


And luckily inspiration came when we were wallpapering around the fireplace, we had leftover wallpapering paste *bing! Let's decollage it, by the way no idea how to spell that, its a fancy word for papermache if there is anyone else as clueless as me out there.

Cue some newsagent, flat and ebay trawling for something cool to cover it with. First idea was beer labels, we have been drinking a lot of craft beer recently and a lot of them have cool labels, but when I tried to pull them off they ripped and looked a bit crap. Anyway thinking through it I think they might have been a bit too "tourist pub" or studenty for us (Remember the wine bottle collection in first year anyone?).



Next inspiration was when I saw a 1943 world atlas on ebay for 99p, sold! I love maps and I think I am converting Rodney so it's perfect. I have to admit I probably spent longer than is properly healthy reading the atlas before I took it apart!! After that it was pretty easy, I mixed up the left over wallpaper paste and stuck the maps to the tired old table.

We managed to completely cover the table with maps, and only had 2 maps left over...perfection! The corners were a little bit difficult but we managed it. Not sure if you can make it out in the pic but we made sure we had the places we liked at the top, so there is Scotland, Australia and Africa all clearly visibly. But actually the way it worked out meant we had all the continents on display.


Once everything was stuck down the wallpaper paste had dried we sprayed it a fair few times with clear varnish, to hopefully stop the maps peeling off and it staining if we put drinks on it.

So there you have it, a brand new, interesting table and if your interested here is the cost breakdown:

                                                       Table - £0 
                                                        Map - £2.99 (£2 postage!!)
                                              Spray Paint - £7.00
                                       Wallpaper paste - £0 (already had it)
                                            Grand Total - £9.99

And..... drumroll please...... here is our new table at home between the sofas.







25 comments :

  1. I am going to post a comment and say I love your re-vamped table!
    I think you need a TV show, with added booby shots :)
    good work xx
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoop whoop for the booby shots :-)

      Delete
  2. omg i am going to do this with maps of edinburgh your pure genius, like kirsty allsop but hotter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What would we do without Lack? So well done! Love the placement of the maps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we are really pleased with it. My friend likes it so much she has bought a lack table to make her own :-)

      Delete
  4. I love this project! It makes the table unique and personalized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, glad you like it :-)

      Delete
  5. It's gorgeous. I love that you used a boring IKEA table cause they are easy and cheap for almost anyone to buy. Also love that Australia is so prominent :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - not nearly as neat looking as all your map furniture, but it's a good start! We (well more me!) had great fun putting all our fav places on the top. Thanks for checking it out. xox

      Delete
  6. I've added this to March before and after party at http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2012/03/march-before-and-after-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent. I have two Lack tables in my collection that I may want to experiment with now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great - I'm glad you liked it. It really was so easy, a couple of hours worth of work really. xox

      Delete
  8. Super cute! Thanks for sharing this link when you commented about my DIY map tray. Your table looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, your map tray was awesome xox

      Delete
  9. I love that table! Such a great idea! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm your newest follower, hope you'll follow back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - following you back, looking forward to seeing what you get up to xox

      Delete
  10. What a fun upgrade to a basic table. I adore it. I did something similar with an old dresser and maps I printed on regular paper. http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2011/12/22/mapped-dressed-and-done/
    Karah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to have a nosy now :-) xox

      Delete
  11. I love it...I must try maps next!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your table looks great! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! I was surfing around the net for a cute idea to upgrade my lack tables, and here I got! I have to say this is brilliant. Simple, cheap, yet it makes the table look so interesting and cool. I think I am going for this! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hope it works out for you. We are trying to think of more things we can give the same treatment too :-)

      Delete

Leave me a comment, they make my day!!

(I'm afraid I have had to add the word verification off as the spambots have been going crazy recently)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...